Friday, August 7, 2009

Here Thus Far

Hey Everyone,

So, after 6 days or so,I finally got access to a computer. I hope to check my e-mail and post an entry every 4-6 days, but who knows. Anyway, things here are amazing...I have having such an unbelievable experience. I have met some great people and I can't wait to see what is in store next.

My days are typically as follows: I usually wake up at around 6:30 and mess around until breakfast at 7:15. Recently, at around 9, I travel with members of the home care team and make rounds throughout the local community. On Thursday we traveled roughly 10 km to distribute bowls and welfare to HIV infected families in the community. I initially thought that I was in the middle of nowhere when I first got here, but then we penetrated deeper into the rural area. Most of these families have never seen a White person before...ever. Some kids stare and touch me, while others take one look at me and run away crying (not very good for my self-esteem). However, most people are very accepting and more than happy to extend hospitality. On Friday, we visited a support group meeting about an hour away. While I don't understand anything that was discussed, I did witness an authentic demonstration on how to properly put a condom on a wooden penis. I don't really know what is in store for me next week.

We usually eat lunch around 11:30, then veg out for a bit. There is a lot of downtime here. I have been here for almost a week and am halfway through my third book (a new personal record). I do much of my teachings in the afternoon. Everyday from 2-3, I teach the local monks English. Monks represent a sector of the community that is typically neglected when it comes to education. This being said, they really really want to learn English. For my first couple of lessons, I had a class of about 7-9 students...not too shabby. However, I think many of them find the language very tough and give up. I only had 3 ambitious monks show up for class on Friday.

I have also been teaching English to many of the older kids. They are quite good with the language and are very eager to learn. I also find myself teaching them how to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc. I don't thing many young volunteers come through here, so they really enjoy hanging out with me, playing sports, listening to my ipod, etc. It doesn't even cross mymind that many of them are HIV positive. The younger kids enjoy hanging with me too (and by hanging I mean hanging all over me). They like when I toss and twirl them around.

The food here is still great, even though I am starting to grow tired of eating rice at every meal. I am really really craving some chocolate, which is obsolete here (I ran out of my oreo stash the second day here). Regardless, the food is great and I am not loosing any weight. It has been very hot here the past couple of days, but I have gotten used to constantly sweating. Sleeping at night is a bit more difficult, but I am getting the hang of it. The other volunteers here are great and I love spending time with them (we spend a lot of time together).

If anything, my experience here has taught me not too take things so seriously. There really is not a need to check the internet every hour and watch tv 6 hours a day like I usually do (or so it seems). It is nice not to worry about facebook, and I am really enjoying reading.

Anyway, thats it for now, but I willpost pics when I visit Phnom Penh in abuot a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment