Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Flight Over

Hey Everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted sooner, but this is the first time I have gotten to a computer. The flight from Atlanta took forever. I first had a 14 hour leg from Atlanta to Seoul, South Korea, a whopping 14 hours away. I managed to watch 4 movies during the span...pretty outrageous. I was fortunate to have an empty seat next to me on the flight which was nice. After a 2 hour delay in Seoul, I hopped aboard another 6 hour flight to Phnom Penh. While I slept for most the flight, I did wake up in time for dinner...eel (they had just run out of chicken). I opted to skip dinner (fortunately I had brought an entire box of pop tarts with me).

The time difference here is 11 hours ahead of Atlanta. As I write this blog at 9:00 am on Sunday, it is currently 10:00 pm in Atlanta on Saturday (I am following the Braves game right now). Once I landed, I had to buy a visa for $20, grabbed my luggage, and was greeted by Susan, the organization's in country coordinator. She has been nothing but friendly since I have been here. I finally arrived at my hotel at around 11:00 pm. My hotel is in a very safe neighbor with flocks of Western tourists. It is both amazing and comforting to see all of the English everywhere. The primary language here is Khmer, but many people speak English to some degree. My room is so much nicer than the hostel rooms I was used to in South America. I have air conditioning, a western style bathroom with tp, and a tv with about 60 channels (including HBO and ESPN). The only difference is the shower, which is basically is not a real shower at all. In the bathroom, there is a single shower head that shoots water into the middle of the bathroom, where it is then drained into a corner....pretty bizarre.

Anyway, im going to go ahead and post another entry about my day yesterday.

Peace,
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment